The reason that a newly created subcategory may not appear on your P&L is that it may not be linked to the correct 'accounting account' when you created the subcategory: 'Membership Subscriptions'. The Profit and Loss report uses the 'Accounting Account' and not the categories so if you didn't link your subcategory to the correct account, it will be grouped under the default one.
To link the accounting account that a category like 'Membership Subscriptions' is associated with to an 'Income' account instead of a 'sales' account, please follow the steps below:
- Go to Your Profile
- Select 'Preferences'
- Switch 'Show accountancy information' to 'On'
- Press 'Save Preferences'
- Go to 'Chart of Account'
- Press 'New Account'
- Create a new account
- Select the appropriate 'Account Type', in this case, 'Income'
- Enter an 'Account Name', in this case, 'Membership Subscription':
Once you have created your new 'account', you will see that a new account called 'Membership Subscription' now appears under [40000 - Income] and not [41000 Sales]:
- To create a new category for your Membership Subscription:
- Find the membership subscription transaction on your Bank Transactions page
- Highlight the field 'ENTER CATEGORY' and type 'Subscription'
- Select 'New Category for 40001 Membership Subscriptions:
- Make sure the new category has been linked to the correct account
- Press 'Done' to save:
- Populate the rest of the fields on your Bank Transactions page and press 'confirm'
- Go to your P&L report to check that the transaction appears as expected under 'Income':